Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of global technology and supply chain services to businesses around the world. Ingram Micro’s global infrastructure and deep expertise in technology solutions, supply chain, cloud and mobility enable its business partners to operate efficiently and successfully in the markets they serve. Combined with distinct market insights and the trust and dependability generated from decades of strong partner relationships, Ingram Micro stands apart as the global technology services provider for the future.
Responsible for supporting day to day Operations at North America warehouse distribution facilities by providing expertise in the areas of Industrial Engineering and Continuous Improvement to reinforce the goal of Operational Excellence. Create and maintain a culture of LEAN and continuous improvement that respects and values thoughtful and disciplined use of data and thereby enable associates at all levels to participate in the Continuous improvement of the operating system.
The Sr. Industrial Engineering Manager position is expected to lead a team of 6-8 Industrial Engineers across various distribution centers in US by leading various engineering activities and establish a culture of process improvement across the distribution center network.
The Sr. Industrial Engineering Manager will work with their direct reports and the Operations teams to improve operational efficiency, maintain labor standards, and reduce costs. Their expertise will also be used to develop and implement continuous improvement projects and strategies across Industrial Engineering. The analytic work will be strategic as well as tactical in nature. Direct cross-functional interaction with Systems, IT, Distribution Centers, Finance, Sales, Project Management, vendors, and customers is required to understand the nature of issues and provide analytic support to engineer unique solutions to the business requirements.
The Sr. Industrial Engineering Manager position typically organizes and/or leads priorities and resources to meet operational objectives. He or she would be expected to work cross functionally to define and solve complex problems in Distribution Center operations, manpower and productivity estimates, work scheduling, business and functional processes, and supply chain logistics. This would include analysis on but not limited to order behavior, inventory behavior, storage mode, Pareto, resource productivity, incentive plans, cost, alternatives evaluation, operating scenario model building, and capacity analyses using statistical (such as regression) and mathematical (such as linear programming) techniques.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze and provide solutions for cost reduction through process improvements and cost/benefit analysis.
- Drafts and designs layout of equipment, materials, and distribution facilities to illustrate maximum efficiency, using drafting tools and CAD.
- Conduct root cause analyses of labor and/or process inefficiencies through operational data analysis, Pareto charts, process reviews, time studies, statistics reviews, simulation and discussions with operational leadership
- Develop automation design and equipment specifications for the implementation of automation solutions including identifying facility design requirements based on activity levels, product envelope, product flow and transportation methods
- Identify changes to existing functionality and test IT solutions and functionality; partner with IT team to identify and document new functionality not currently available
- Specify packing methods to be used based on mode/method of transportation and product profile; specify containers/cartons and packing (void fill) medium requirements
- Develop processes and procedures for human interface functionality with automation equipment, along with supporting validation techniques and metrics to ensure successful project completion
- Ensure transition of all processes, procedures, metrics and maintenance requirements to local operations
- Applies statistical methods and perform mathematical calculations to determine work flow processes, staff requirements, and operational standards.
- Recommend optimal slotting locations for SKU’s based on velocity and work flow data. Assist with moving and locating product to optimal location for picking efficiency.
- Identify operational bottlenecks and develop, analyze and present cost-efficient solutions.
- Conduct industrial engineering distribution labor studies and thereby establishing computer-based productivity labor standards.
- Provides detailed statistical analysis of current operations through data mining of existing information and formulate data collections schemes as necessary to support process improvements.
- Develop, propose, and implement process and layout changes driven by logical and analytical determining factors.
- Utilizes various optimization, simulation and forecasting techniques to discover and justify changes that will improve customer service and/or reduce operating expenses.
- Evaluate and advise distribution management on potential operational improvements.
- Apply Industrial Engineering concepts and tools to drive safety, accuracy, and productivity within the supply chain organization through KPI’s and metrics.
- Serves as technical guide on specialized projects or programs; acts as advisor to management and/or customers on topics related to Industrial Engineering and Continuous improvement.
- Identify capacity impacts to distribution centers associated with varying parameters within the supply chain.
- Develop preferred methods/Standard Operating Procedures for the warehouse in conjunction with Operational support.
- Develop methods for tracking and reporting warehouse key performance indicators.
- Establish and maintain standards using MOST and full cycle frequency studies across all operational processes. Utilizes labor data to cost rationalize capital expenditure and process change return on investment. Use labor and material cost data to compare and recommend process change and communicate accurate process costs to senior management.
- Demonstrate the ability to take ideas from concept to implementation and can influence decision-making with all stake-holders. Possesses superior multi-tasking ability to meet concurrent project deadlines.
- Develop multi-variable standards by collecting data through predetermined time standards and time studies. Support front end volume and staff planning initiatives.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple and concurrent priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional attitude and approach (and the ability to interact with individuals at different levels of the organization, up and down).
- Provide training as needed for our labor management systems, process improvements, and standard operating procedures. Support distribution planning models (square footage, labor, staffing).
- 5 + years of related industrial engineering experience and experience directing a team, completing multi-variable work measurements and developing labor standards, process improvement, and network optimization projects within a distribution environment.
- Prior experience with automated warehouse picking systems, robotic goods-to-person picking solutions like OPEX Perfect pick, Exacta warehouse control system, Exacta Pick-To-Light, Packsize On-Demand carton making and VoCollect is highly desired.
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Industrial and Systems Engineering is required
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Supply Chain Management, or equivalent is desired
- Experience with any one or more industry leading Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) and Labor Management System (LMS) like SAP, JDA, Oracle, Manhattan, Red Prairie and/or equivalent WMS and LMS.
- Commanding knowledge of lean principles, distribution or fulfillment processes, logistics business systems, predetermined motion and time standards, and application of optimization and simulation
- Experience with simulation software, 3D modeling, drawing/design of components and best-in-class Labor Reporting Systems, MOST and Standards Pro.
- Experience with material handling systems (MHS) and other industry leading warehouse automation technologies
- Previous experience with Distribution planning models (square footage, labor, staffing, etc.) and awareness of material handling technology applications is preferred
- MS Office Suite with strong MS Excel skills, MS Access, and Visio. Advanced skills in Excel, SQL, or other analytical tools for data mining and analysis
- Proficient in best practices and effective solutions from within the industry or derived from other industries
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment
- Comfortable in an environment with unstructured, incomplete, and ambiguous data
- This position is based in either Irvine or Mira Loma, California with 25%- 30% travel across the US
- Solve complex problems where development of new solutions, methods and systems will result in a major impact on multiple departments' overall success.
- Analyze current methods and procedures, recommend and implement improvements.
- Design and implement new business processes across department lines.
- Communicate effectively by telephone and in group meetings and discussions. Provide and receive information accurately.
- Organize and lead meetings or presentations to explain, negotiate or persuade.
- Plan and organize projects that cross department/division lines and lead those projects to a successful conclusion.
- Work effectively within Supply Chain Organization team to share knowledge gained from initiative experience to benefit the overall organization.
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.