Sr Network Engineer
This job posting is no longer active.
Irvine, CA, United States
Job ID: 41899
The ideal candidate should have at minimum 8 years relevant experience in the industry with 4 of those years as a senior network engineer in a previous role. This position is responsible for defining the technology strategy for Ingram Micro’s Converged Network by evaluating and recommending network technologies and overseeing the acquisition and implementation of such technology. This resource will take an active role in the overall design and implementation of network technologies within the global Ingram Micro network. The qualified candidate should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. As the Senior Network Engineer, this person will also be a consultant to the Enterprise Computing organization, regional IS teams, Network Operations team and will be viewed as the subject matter expert in the company for their area. With the objective of improving MTTR during critical incidents, the Senior Network Engineer may be called upon to lead internal resources and external partners that support the day-to-day operations of the organization’s core networks (wired and wireless). This will include providing oversight and guidance to protocol and configuration analysis and developing complex troubleshooting plans or approaches.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for ensuring highly available movement of data through the networks that comprise the enterprise network system
- Designs, develops and implements data networks which serve the business needs of the enterprise, its departments, and information systems
- Provides highly skilled technical assistance in network planning, design and architecture
- Develops technical standards, identifies, and evaluates new products, and provides resolution for network problems
- Identifies and diagnoses complex problems and factors affecting network performance
- Provide network support and troubleshooting for critical issues
- Provides integrated team support of network hardware and software
- Provides implementation and technology review with Network Infrastructure team
- Studies vendor products to determine those which best meet company needs and assists in presentation of information to management result in purchase and installation of hardware, software and modem equipment
- May function in a lead capacity within the department and will provide guidance and direction for less experienced network analysts and outsourced suppliers / partners
- Evaluates new products/technologies to determine impact on existing system configurations.
Prepares proposals, cost/benefit analyses, and feasibility studies
- Evaluates and identifies opportunities for network performance and functionality improvements
- Hands-on and remote configuration of network devices including routers, switches, load balancers and firewalls.
- Develop network design, documentation, and implementation plans for various network convergence projects.
- Direct work for the operations team to efficiently deliver services to our customers.
- Review and document network technology configurations, QoS configurations, and other advanced features
- Develop and maintain configuration, performance and capacity management strategies for network infrastructure
- Serve as a subject matter expert to help develop monitoring best practices using industry standard network monitoring technologies
- Strong OSI knowledge with emphasis on Layers 1-3 including deep packet analysis in a large and complex environment
- Experience with LAN design including IP allocation and summarization, network segmentation, and VLAN definition and implementation
- Strong knowledge of industry routing protocols (EIGRP, BGP ) including iWAN implementation and the use of overlay routing across different underlay transport technologies
- Strong knowledge of advanced routing and traffic engineering and filtering practices using route maps, prefix lists and distribute lists
- Working Voice over IP and IP Telephony knowledge
- Expertise in many of the following protocols and technologies:
STP, RSTP, TCP/IP, IP, 802.1d, 802.1x, 802.1q, DS1/3, PIMv2, 802.11a/b/g/n, IPSec, 3Des, AES, PEAP, LEAP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, NHRP/DMVPN
- Knowledge of the major router and switching platforms: Cisco and FortiNet
- Proven experience with physical media technologies and associated equipment.
- Experience with implementing and troubleshooting SDWAN
- Strong knowedge in datacenter technologies including all Nexus family of switches and line cards; VDC, vPC, FEX, troubleshooting traffic flow within a vPC domain
- Strong network security experience and edge protection, URL filtering using Cisco ASA\SourceFire and Fortigate UTM
- Experience with datacenter grade firewalls which includes Cisco and Fortinet, configuring and troubleshooting B2B VPN and SSL VPN
- Wireless data network experience, including voice and QoS across a wireless network
- Operational experience in Internet Service Provider (ISP) services. (DHCP, DNS, FTP, TFTP, Exchange, etc.)
- Experience with configuring and troubleshooting load balancers in a high availability environment. Experience with end to end QoS policy implementation across LAN and WAN, including troubleshooting que drops.
Analysis and Planning:
- Performs efficient and effective analysis and complete task level activities, which may include development of recommendations, process design changes, system specifications, and business analysis cases from the analysis performed.
- Creative in delivering value and carefully researched alternatives and system solutions to address customer/user requests.
- Designs should be efficient, allow for flexibility, and consider cross-platform usage and global requirements/functionality.
- Directs interaction with all levels of management and users. Expected to challenge users on requirements and suggest changes or alternatives to enhance the business environment
- Initiates and leads design reviews for own projects or other projects within the team.
- Develop RFIs and RFPs for vendor (carriers, equipment vendors and service providers) selection process. Evaluate vendor responses to RFI’s, RFP’s and support negotiations and audit criteria.
- Coordinate with worldwide deployments, requirements and design. Over 200 offices across 40+ countries.
- Be a driving force in implementation of common designs, HW and processes worldwide.
- Work efficiently with outsourced vendors and subcontractors.
- Independently analyzes business problems and operational data from one or more sources to formulate solutions of significant complexity. Responsible for identifying various technical alternatives and clearly defining user specifications.
- Possesses a high/in-depth understanding of specific business unit(s) functions, business processes, products/services, and general operations.
- Independently researches and solves problems that are vague and unidentified with little or no relationship to available data.
- Independently researches and solves problems where precedents may be absent and unique solutions are required.
- Perform lab research and prototyping work as appropriate.
- Expertise in interpreting information which requires the research, development, and testing of new methods and/or concepts of analysis.
- Stay abreast of current business drivers and projects and future business projects/needs
- Stay abreast of current vendors and products in that space, anticipate change and have a plan in place to react to the change.
Development and Implementation:
- Runs medium to large projects from requirements gathering to post implementation.
- Expected to be a leader for design and development considerations, guidance, and knowledge.
- Understand basic financials and the costs associated with delivering technology solutions.
- Provide reasonably accurate estimates of project costs on minimal information
- Develops and maintains project plan for own projects.
- Expert in cross-platform connectivity issues.
- Interprets business requirements into detailed specifications.
- Utilized as a resource by other groups within the department, outside of their primary Subject Matter Expertise area. Can effectively participate on cross-functional teams.
- Responsibilities and objectives are assigned with freedom to set priorities and make decisions using general guidelines and references.
- Research into new solutions is self-initiated. Recommendations should be referred to supervisors before continuing work.
- Ensures all systems development adheres to, and maintains current applications development standards and methodologies.
- Consults with and coordinates with external vendors.
- Comprehensive understanding of Ingram Micro’s core businesses.
- Anticipates and accepts change by capitalizing on opportunities that arise.
- Assesses alternative systems approaches for workability and economic feasibility.
- Works toward implementing efficiencies and improving the current processes or system.
- Maintains focus on business strategy and direction while being responsive to change.
- Performs necessary investigation, analysis, and evaluation of new technology solutions related to a specific area to resolve business problems, realize process improvements, or upgrade/leverage existing technology.
- Develops evaluation documentation and recommendations for new technologies or upgrades in current technologies.
- Develops ideas resulting in the creation of new methods, services, or products.
- Cross-applies technologies to situations when appropriate.
- Must be proactive in seeking out business issues and driving to solutions to resolve them.
Process Improvement and Support:
- Effectively partner with business leaders to achieve joint solutions
- Ability to explain technology to line level associates, middle management, and executive management
- Provides technical training and guidance to lower classifications.
- Actively looks for opportunities to positively impact existing methods, services, or products.
- Targets performance improvements while analyzing systems and processes.
- Understands, analyzes, and documents cost/benefit analysis where appropriate.
- Actively accepts individual and team responsibilities and meet commitments. Takes responsibility for own performance and actions and demonstrate responsibility and teamwork towards overall team/department goals.
- Effectively multi-tasks on multiple assignments and deliverables.
- Takes and exhibits initiative to further develop technical and professional skills, by attending training and/or willingness to learn new systems or technologies in use by the Information Technology department
- Responsible for acting as a technical consultant on general projects for the department.
- Performs or coordinates problem analysis, determine and implement system solutions, escalate as appropriate to departmental management, and communicate resolutions to appropriate Information Technology management and support personnel.
- Builds the needed infrastructure to follow through on strategic plans.
- Provides on-call support on normal rotation as well as on-call support for his/her own projects.
- Documents and publishes solutions and standards for the department.
- Participates in budget planning.
- Serve on industry boards or represent Ingram Micro at industry events
- Promotes the use of technology at Ingram Micro and can present this effectively to external parties
- Provide oversight to service provider for the areas to which they are responsible.
- Effectively coordinates with service provider and partners with their resources, as appropriate
- Work with the business to help identify improvements to business operations from their technology areas.
III. Behavioral Competencies
- Expresses ideas and suggestions in an organized and concise manner.
- Solicits and readily accepts constructive feedback.
- Ability to speak at industry events representing Ingram Micro
- Presents feedback to others in a tactful manner.
- Addresses conflict directly, confidentially, and appropriately.
- Produce documents that discuss both the conceptual and tactical implementations of technology.
- Communicates at a level (verbal or written) appropriate for the audience. Audience will vary from line-level technical associates to executive management.
- Effectively persuades and/or convinces its audience in a specific technology direction through written documents, presentations, and verbal interactions
- Maintains composure when addressing an adversarial or hostile audience.
- Capable of doing presentations to small and large groups (groups exceeding 20 people).
- Capable of effective communications with people of other nationalities and cultures. Effectively adjusts to meet their local affinities.
- Researches and collects appropriate data points for effective decision making.
- Readily makes recommendations and includes necessary documentation and material to support conclusions.
- Decisions are in-line with corporate and department strategies and objectives
- Understands extent of decision making authority and exercises good judgment when working with internal and external parties
Develops Innovative Practices
- Identifies new ways to use technology to improve work processes.
- Makes a significant contribution to improving work quality.
- Recognizes when it is appropriate to challenge the status quo and when it is not.
- Considers the possible outcomes and corresponding consequences when taking risks.
- Identifies and implements unique solutions to problems without prompting from others.
- Tries a new approach to a problem when the initial approach fails.
Works as a Team Member
- Supports team decisions to implement changes, suggestions, improvements, and solutions.
- Encourages and supports the exploration and application of best practices
- Offers assistance to others and shares information regardless of personal likes or dislikes.
- Enthusiastically participates in cross-functional efforts.
- Individual views himself/herself as a resource to the entire department/company and avails himself/herself accordingly.
Acts with Integrity & Respect
- Prevents personal conflicts from interfering with his/her objectivity.
- Consistently arrives on time for meetings and appointments.
- Accepts responsibility for the results of his/her decisions and actions.
- Behaves in a way that is consistent with Ingram Micro’s values.
- Effectively plans and communicates needs for resources to ensure goals are met.
- Invests in teaching others tasks rather than assuming personal responsibility for the tasks.
- Takes time to thoroughly explain a task or process when training others.
- Breaks down complex tasks into simpler steps that others can more easily follow.
- Follows up to ensure that major implementation milestones are met.
- Applies his/her knowledge to areas of responsibility outside the functional group.
- Able to manage and oversee without being confrontational
- JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Business Information Systems desired or equivalent in work experience.
- BS or BA degree, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent education, training or work experience required.; advanced degree a plus
- Minimum CCNP Routing and Switching, CCIE with Lab a plus or CCIE Datacenter
- Seven or more years of Network Engineering experience required.
- Communicates well both orally and in writing. Prepares formal technology evaluations and proposals.
- Accepts individual/team responsibilities and meet commitments. Takes responsibility for own performance and actions.
- Creative in delivering value to systems solutions and customer/user requests. Anticipates and accepts change by capitalizing on opportunities that arise.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Visio and Project.
- MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Solves complex problems where development of new solutions, methods, and systems will result in a major impact on the department’s overall success.
- Analyzes problems quickly and develops business solutions to complex problems.
- Implements recommendations and see task assignments and see projects through to completion.
- Performs efficient and effective analysis and complete task level activities.
- Analyzes current methods and procedures, recommend and implement improvements.
- Communicates effectively by telephone and in group meetings and discussions. Provides and receives information accurately.