Sr. Network Engineer
Ingram Micro is an integral part of the technology and commerce ecosystems, helping our partners grow and thrive through the creation and delivery of Information Technology, Lifecycle Management, E-Commerce Logistics, and Cloud Solutions. With $49 billion in revenue and the ability to reach 90% of the global population, we have become the world’s largest technology distributor with operations in 59 countries and more than 35,000 associates.
*This position is in the Irvine, California corporate headquarters and has the opportunity for hybrid work with up to two days remote per week.
Join our team for an opportunity to be a key resource and take an active role in the overall design and implementation of network technologies within the global Ingram Micro network with over 250 connected locations in more than 50 countries, with 5 global datacenters, public cloud IaaS and 1000’s of network devices. As the Senior Network Engineer, you will be part of a passionate team delivering world class service to the Enterprise Computing organization, regional IT and the Network Operations teams, and be viewed as a subject matter expert in the company for their area. With the objective of improving MTTR during critical incidents, the Senior Network Engineer may be called upon to lead internal resources and external partners that support the day-to-day operations of the organization’s core networks (wired and wireless). This will include providing oversight and guidance to protocol and configuration analysis and developing complex troubleshooting plans or approaches.
- Ensure highly available movement of data through the networks that comprise the enterprise network system
- Design, develop and implement data networks which serve the business needs of the enterprise, its departments, and information systems
- Provide highly skilled technical assistance in network planning, design and architecture
- Develop technical standards, identify and evaluate new products, and provide resolution for network problems
- Identify and diagnose complex problems and factors affecting network performance
- Network support and troubleshooting for critical issues
- Provide integrated team support of network hardware and software
- Provide implementation and technology review with Network Infrastructure team
- Study vendor products to determine those which best meet company needs and assists in presentation of information to management result in purchase and installation of hardware, software and modem equipment
- May function in a lead capacity within the department and provide guidance and direction for less experienced network analysts and outsourced suppliers / partners
- Evaluate new products/technologies to determine impact on existing system configurations
Prepare proposals, cost/benefit analyses, and feasibility studies
- Evaluate and identify opportunities for network performance and functionality improvements
- Hands-on and remote configuration of network devices including routers, switches, load balancers and firewalls.
- Develop network design, documentation, and implementation plans for various network convergence projects
- Direct work for the operations team to efficiently deliver services to our customers
- Review and document network technology configurations, QoS configurations, and other advanced features
- Develop and maintain configuration, performance and capacity management strategies for network infrastructure
- Serve as a subject matter expert to help develop monitoring best practices using industry standard network monitoring technologies
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related Science and Math discipline, or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
- Cisco certification in multiple disciplines - CCNP required, CCIE preferred
- ITIL V3 Foundation Certification – preferred
- 7+ Years’ experience in large enterprise network environments with 3 – 5 years in a network management role.
- 5+ years of experience with Cisco networking technologies in both LAN and WAN environments
- Strong communication (i.e., written and verbal) and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Experience preparing formal technology evaluations and proposals
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Visio and Project.
- OSI knowledge with emphasis on Layers 1-3 including deep packet analysis in a large and complex environment
- Experience with LAN design including IP allocation and summarization, network segmentation, and VLAN definition and implementation
- Industry routing protocols (EIGRP, BGP) including iWAN implementation and the use of overlay routing across different underlay transport technologies
- Knowledge of advanced routing and traffic engineering and filtering practices using route maps, prefix lists and distribute lists
- Working Voice over IP and IP Telephony knowledge
- Expertise in many of the following protocols and technologies:
STP, RSTP, TCP/IP, IP, 802.1d, 802.1x, 802.1q, DS1/3, PIMv2, 802.11a/b/g/n, IPSec, 3Des, AES, PEAP, LEAP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, NHRP/DMVPN
- Knowledge of the major router and switching platforms: Cisco and FortiNet
- Proven experience with physical media technologies and associated equipment
- Experience with implementing and troubleshooting SDWAN
- Knowledge in datacenter technologies including all Nexus family of switches and line cards; VDC, vPC, FEX, troubleshooting traffic flow within a vPC domain
- Network security experience and edge protection, URL filtering using Cisco ASA\SourceFire and Fortigate UTM
- Experience with datacenter grade firewalls which includes Cisco and Fortinet, configuring and troubleshooting B2B VPN and SSL VPN
- Wireless data network experience, including voice and QoS across a wireless network
- Operational experience in Internet Service Provider (ISP) services. (DHCP, DNS, FTP, TFTP, Exchange, etc.)
- Experience with configuring and troubleshooting load balancers in a high availability environment. Experience with end-to-end QoS policy implementation across LAN and WAN, including troubleshooting que drops
Please be prepared to provide three current work references and pass a criminal background check and drug test.
This is not a complete listing of the job duties. It’s a representation of the things you will be doing, and you may not perform all these duties.
Ingram Micro believes there is no place in our society for social injustice, discrimination or racism. As a company we do not – and will not – tolerate these actions.
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.