Transportation Hazmat/Dangerous Goods Manager
This job posting is no longer active.
Carol Stream, IL, United States
Job ID: 53567
The Transportation HazMat/Dangerous Goods Consultant is responsible for developing best-in-class processes and systems to ensure Ingram Micro identifies, labels, packages, & transports dangerous goods compliantly. This includes working with IT, key business partners and DC operations teams to drive system and operational enhancements required for efficient and compliant movement of product through the warehouses and partner carriers.
The qualified individual will be ultimately responsible for the compliance against domestic, regional and global regulatory policies governing dangerous goods transport.
- Develops and administers strategies, in collaboration with Customer and Operations, to ensure Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods are transported safely and in compliance with 49 CFR, IATA, and TDG regulations. Supports the design, development, and implementation of Hazardous Material/Dangerous Goods policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Provides expert consultation to internal client organizations (including IT in the design of effective DG solutions) to ensure Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods regulations (49 CFR, and IATA) are interpreted and applied to policies and support critical operational & business needs
- Identify and lead dangerous goods improvement projects to drive towards a best in class dangerous goods compliance program. Identify regulatory risks in new products and services and provide guidance for risk mitigations.
- Facilitates and partners with related teams including Strategic Sourcing, Engineering, Account Teams, Operations as required to ensure organizational compliance, maintain solid relationships, and remediate concerns internally and externally.
- Leads transportation and logistics compliance related projects with critical attention to detail, deadlines, and reporting.
- Responsible for road, ocean, and air transport classification of hazmat using USDOT, TDG Canada, and IATA regulations, and assignment of Ingram Micro-internal hazmat identifier (labels, marks, packaging, training, placarding, and documentation requirements) for each hazmat product
- Identifies and implements associate training needs as related to Hazardous Material/Dangerous Goods in collaboration with Operations Management and training organizations. Ensures accuracy, relevance, and compliance with related training programs, procedures, materials, and job aids
Regulatory Change Awareness and Impact Analysis
- Stays abreast of applicable local, state, and federal Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods regulations and legislation, including hazardous waste disposal.
- Analyzes potential impact on business processes. Advises senior leadership and advocates appropriate actions
- Audit and update systemic tools when changes are made to regulations and new hazmat products are introduced into the network
- Coordinate issue resolution with carriers and regulators when hazmat shipment issues are identified
- Capture issues and create corrective actions requests for hazmat shipment issues
- Respond to internal and partner questions regarding proper shipment of hazmat
- Manages regulatory enforcement actions involving Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods in cooperation with Quality Assurance, Corporate Environmental, Health & Safety, Legal and external regulatory agencies as applicable
- Conduct scheduled and unscheduled on-site hazmat shipping audits at Ingram Micro facilities
- Represent Ingram Micro during regulatory inspections and discussions with regulators
Project SME Support
- Act as hazmat shipping subject matter expert on process and systemic improvement projects
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships with internal subject matter experts and stakeholders as well as affiliated support organizations to improve Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods safety and compliance performance
- Monitors and analyzes performance indicator data to identify quality improvement opportunities and advocates corrective action with internal and external stakeholders
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related field, or equivalent experience; MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in storage, handling, and transportation of Hazardous Materials / Dangerous Goods, required
- Working knowledge of Hazardous Material/Dangerous Goods transportation regulations (49 CFR, IATA), operations, and procedures including battery transportation compliance, required
- Working knowledge of United Parcel Service and Federal Express shipping requirements including packaging, marking, labeling, and documentation, required
- Knowledge of hazardous waste management/disposal required
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio required
- Some travel, domestic and international will be required
- Line management in an operating environment a plus.
Please be prepared to pass a drug test and successfully pass a pre-employment (post offer) background check that includes verification of vaccination status.
Ingram Micro requires all new associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Therefore, this position requires applicants to submit proof, prior to start date, that the successful applicant is fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Ingram Micro will comply with applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants will be notified of the requirements of Ingram Micro’s COVID-19 policy and process for verification of vaccination status prior to the start of employment.
Ingram Micro believes there is no place in our society for social injustice, discrimination, or racism. As a company we do not – and will not – tolerate these actions.
#LI - SR1
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.