Ingram Micro is the business behind the world’s brands, providing more ways to realize the promise of technology®. We are an integral part of the technology ecosystem, helping our partners grow and thrive through the creation and delivery of Information Technology, Cloud solutions and Lifecycle services. With more than $54 billion in revenue and the ability to reach 90% of the global population, we are one of the world’s largest technology distributors, serving our partners through operations in 61 countries with 29,000 associates.
Ingram Micro has earned Great Place to Work Certification™ for 2022-2023 in the United States! This prestigious recognition reflects our commitment to our people and our culture.
Come join our team where you’ll make technology happen in surprising ways. Let’s shape tomorrow - it’ll be a fun journey!
*This position is in the Irvine, California corporate headquarters and has the opportunity for hybrid work with up to three days remote per week
The Sr. Data Engineer is responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The Sr. Data engineer will also design and develop algorithms or technical solutions to deliver product requirements. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Sr. Data Engineer will support our software developers, architects and product managers on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing Ingram Micro’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
This role will also be responsible, jointly with Product managers for ensuring proper documentation is made for each system change requested and that adequate change control, rigorous testing and training is done prior to moving changes into production. This position will contribute to improving the ability of business teams to adopt, support and promote Ingram Micro capabilities. In addition, this position will contribute to continuous improvement initiatives in data-based business solutions, business self-service.
Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Gather and process large, complex, raw data sets at scale (including writing scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, write SQL queries, etc.) that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with stakeholders including the Business, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Create data tools for analytics and engineering team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Be a data expert to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Data Management On-call support will be required for implementation and support activities.
Data solutions development
- Employing your skills in designing, developing and delivering world class data algorithmic artifacts, including documentation and coding; coordinate data algorithmic development with infrastructural development.
- Work closely with our engineering and cross functional IT teams to integrate your amazing innovations and algorithms into our products.
- Research and apply advanced algorithms and methods involving data mining, statistical analysis and machine learning techniques.
- Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis – and then do the analysis.
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed.
- Master third party systems and interfaces, including: data available by the parties, API to be used for obtaining the data, limitations related to these interfaces.
- Excellent subject matter expertise in designing algorithms, business logics to automate commerce process flows.
- Apply your broad-based data development expertise to create practical and innovative solutions.
- Efficiently implement clean, maintainable, and testable data solutions with high availability, blazing speed in performance and fault tolerant.
- Participate in agile and SDLC project execution and provide accurate work effort estimates.
- Apply excellent communications skills, creativity and practical knowledge to benefit our customers.
What you bring to the role:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or Relevant Science and Math disciplines with an IT emphasis is required.
- 7-10 years of relevant technical experience, with at least 5+ years of experience with web services development and middleware applications or master’s degree plus 5-7 years of technical experience.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with Google Cloud
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, Striim etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C# etc.
- Experience with ETL; Informatica, MS SSIS, SAP Data Services, etc.
- Experience with secure cloud services platform for Data Management and Integration.
*This is not a complete listing of the job duties. It’s a representation of the things you will be doing, and you may not perform all these duties.
Please be prepared to pass a drug test and successfully pass a pre-employment (post offer) background check that includes verification of vaccination status.
Ingram Micro requires all new associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Therefore, this position requires applicants to submit proof, prior to start date, that the successful applicant is fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Ingram Micro will comply with applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants will be notified of the requirements of Ingram Micro’s COVID-19 policy and process for verification of vaccination status prior to the start of employment.
Ingram Micro believes there is no place in our society for social injustice, discrimination, or racism. As a company we do not – and will not – tolerate these actions.
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.